GuideStar: Let's Celebrate Together
Recently, Parent Booster USA teamed up with GuideStar. We have a lot to celebrate, so let's celebrate together! In this post, you’ll learn how PBUSA members benefit from working closely with GuideStar. Additionally, we briefly look at some time-saving tips to boost your booster!
What is GuideStar?
GuideStar is a nonprofit organization that publishes information on the web about nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations. Thus, many funders rely on them providing proof that the IRS recognizes an organization as 501(c)(3) tax-exempt.
GuideStar pulls its data from IRS records. PBUSA updates the IRS each quarter on our new members. Then, the IRS updates its Business Master File (BMF). Unfortunately, the IRS may take 6 months or more to do its update.
How do PBUSA members benefit?
Why are we so excited about our new partnership with GuideStar? Until now, members had to wait for the IRS to update the BMF to provide the proof some donors required. Now, that wait is substantially shorter as PBUSA’s members can go directly to GuideStar to provide their tax-exempt information.
Order of events for new PBUSA members
- You are approved as a member of PBUSA with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
- PBUSA files your Articles of Incorporation (AOI) with your state.
- Once AOIs are approved (may take a few weeks), we apply for your booster club’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS.
- Parent Booster USA sends your EIN to the IRS and GuideStar at the end of the quarter (four times per year, every three months). Or, you can manually claim your GuideStar profile as soon as we obtain your EIN!
- Finally, your potential donors can find you in GuideStar (without waiting 6-9 months!) to prove your tax-exempt status. That’s something to celebrate!
Read the following tips to save yourself time and ensure you have provided the correct information.
Two options for claiming your GuideStar profile
- Option 1: If your EIN is already listed with GuideStar, you can claim your profile online. Visit Updating your GuideStar Profile on our website for instructions on how to enter your booster club’s information.
- Option 2: Alternatively, you may send an email with both pages of your Parent Booster USA membership certificate to email@example.com. For full details, see GuideStar's help page for getting manually listed.
Make sure you enter the correct EIN
Your Parent Booster USA membership certificate is the document you need to prove your 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status to GuideStar.
The certificate is two pages:
- Page 1: Your organization’s name and EIN.
- Page 2: PBUSA’s IRS determination letter and PBUSA’s EIN. This letter states that Parent Booster USA holds a group exemption under which your organization is a subordinate member.
Additionally, when updating your information in GuideStar, make sure you include your organization’s EIN, not PBUSA's. It is your unique number identifying your group to the IRS.
Connecting with fundraising websites
Once you set up your profile in GuideStar, you can connect with donation-based website platforms to raise funds for your booster club. Consequently, several of our members have worked with GuideStar to obtain grants from AmazonSmile and other online fundraising platforms.
Your EIN and patience
You cannot claim your profile without an EIN. As we mentioned before, getting your EIN may take a few weeks. It all depends on how quickly your AOIs are approved. You may receive a membership certificate without an EIN. This means PBUSA has not yet obtained your EIN from the IRS. Your patience is appreciated! Rest assured, we will be in touch to let you know as soon as your EIN has been obtained.
All in all, not having to wait 6 months or more to appear on GuideStar is a huge deal! We are excited that our members are receiving this new benefit. Also, we will let you know what other benefits Parent Booster USA members will receive as the year progresses!
Parent Booster USA, where your membership benefits keep getting better and better!
The only organization of its kind in the US, Parent Booster USA is about helping school support organizations (parent teacher organizations, high school booster clubs and other school fundraising groups) handle the state and federal government paperwork required of fundraising groups.
Founded in 2004 by an attorney skilled in nonprofit and tax law, Parent Booster USA has more than 5,000 member organizations in 50 states and DC with a 95% annual renewal rate. We provide peace of mind for parent volunteers, school administrators and school district leadership.